What is it?
It is based in 2 Timothy 2:2 (NIV).
And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others.
It is about Accountability, Bible Reading and Prayer.
Ask honest questions about your life this week. Each person answers the questions in turn. Be transparent!
- How has God made his presence known to me this week?
- What is God teaching me?
- What is the next step of bold faith God is asking of me and what is holding me back?
- What temptation has been a struggle for me this week?
- With whom can I share Christ this week?
- Choose a book of the Bible to read through. Two to three chapters a day is recommended, but choose an amount that is both challenging and achievable for you in a good week. A large biblical book of 20-30 chapters could be read once per week. A smaller book could be read multiple times each week. A larger book could be divided into sections of roughly 20 chapters. The purpose is to develop a habit of repeatedly reading larger sections of the Bible every week.
- Meet for 30-60 minutes each week. Discuss what you have read.
- What is the big picture?
- What were a few “memorable moments” for you?
- What verse holds special meaning for you?
- Pray for each other daily. Ask God to make his presence known in your greatest challenges this week.
- Ask God for strength to do his will in your life.
- Ask God to provide for your needs. Be specific.
- Ask God to deliver you from temptation and evil.
- Ask God to help you reach out to others (name them!) with the gospel this week.
It is a Multiplying Movement.
Begin with two. Add a third. Add a fourth. Break off into two groups of two. (2 + 2 => 2 groups.) At four you must break into two groups. Never go beyond four. Aim to multiply within six weeks. No group of four should be meeting for more than two weeks. (Always males with males and females with females. Always secure permission of parents when meeting with children under age of 16. Parents should know what their children are doing.)
Why Should You Do It?
- It is simple. No leader. No extras. No curriculum outside the Bible.
- It is convenient. Meet each week when and where it suits you. (To meet right after church is ideal! But you can meet anytime anywhere. You can even use social media!)
- It is unobtrusive. It does not interfere with anything else you are doing.
- It encourages spiritual growth, holiness and fellowship.
- It is open to intergenerational connections.
- It is a great way to get to know people.
- It will be a tremendous blessing.
- It multiplies your ministry.
- It is doable.
- It will change you and it will change our church!
What is Our Goal? “From 0 to 100 groups in 60 days”
When Do We Start? October 14
- To assist Bible Reading and comprehension use some of the great online tools available: thebibleproject.com (good video summaries of Bible books); the UBC app (free online Bible included); youversion.com (free Bible app with free downloadable Bible, which has a feature which will read the Bible out loud to you. It’s great for those who have trouble with reading, or while commuting, etc. They also have a Bible app for Kids, which could be really useful).