TO KNOW CHRIST #5
Life Lessons from Paul’s Letter to the Philippians
GOSPEL-WORTHY LIVING Phil 1:27-2:4
PARTICIPATING IN CHRIST’S SUFFERINGS
27 Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel 28 without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God. 29 For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him, 30 since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have.
Philippians 1:27 – 30 (NIV)
(NIV) Eph 4:1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.
(NIV) Col 1:10 so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God,
(NIV) 1 Thess 2:12 encouraging, comforting and urging you to live lives worthy of God, who calls you into his kingdom and glory.
What Is Gospel-Worthy Conduct?
- Embracing hardship for Jesus’ sake
- Standing firm in the one Spirit
- Striving together for the one Faith
- Unafraid of the opposition
Matthew 5:10-12 (NIV)
- Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of
- “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before
Acts 5:41 (NIV)
41 The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name.
PARTICIPATING IN CHRIST’S HUMILITY
1 Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.
Philippians 2:1 – 2:4 (NIV)
What Are The Benefits Of The Gospel?
- Encouragement from being united with Christ
- Comfort from his love
- Sharing in the Spirit
- Tenderness and Compassion
How Are We To Practice The Gospel?
- Be like–minded (like Christ and as such like one another)
- Have the same love as Christ
- Be united in Spirit and mind
- Reject selfish ambition
- Embrace humility, putting others ahead of yourselves
“if you really get into any kind of touch with Him you will, in fact, be humble — delightfully humble, feeling the infinite relief of having for once got rid of all the silly nonsense about your own dignity which has made you restless and unhappy all your life.” (C.S. Lewis)